Looking to join one of the most exciting industries in the world?
With the UK drone industry set to reach £42 billion by 2030, there is no doubt that there are opportunities to be had for new and existing drone operators. Couple this with the lower level of certification available now since the new EU regulations came into effect, and in theory you can launch a drone services business pretty much overnight.
From experience of training over 1000 operators in the UK, we see new operators joining the industry from all walks of life. Naturally, those who go on to make a successful transition to a professional drone pilot benefit from;
- Contacts in an industry or sector who are already looking for drone services
- Transferrable skills which enable you to provide services that go beyond a man and a drone (surveying or inspection services for example)
Without those, you will need a lot of enthusiasm and there are plenty of examples in the industry where people have created a successful drone services business from nothing.
Cost effective options for starting with drones...
There are two options for starting out with drones when you’re testing the water with no customers yet asking you for work, they include;
Spend a day learning to fly drones with one of our instructors on a 1:1 basis.
- This gives you the opportunity to familiarise yourself with the technology, the skills required and to see whether it’s something you are enthusiastic about.
- If at the end of the day you’re keen to proceed, you’ve already completed the first stage of the development pathway without having to invest in a drone.
- You have a professional drone pilot as your instructor who you can ask any questions for a whole day.
- Our training drones have been developed specifically to include dual controls so if you’re close to crashing, the instructor can save it.
- We have developed bespoke exercises and techniques which are designed to instil habits and skills that will set the foundations of a good pilot. They will reduce the time you will need to spend practicing by yourself, accelerating the rate of your competency, rather than leaving you to plateau with limited skills and bad habits if you try to self-teach yourself. These exercises also put structure to your own practice so that you’re not left aimlessly flying around the sky, leaving you to falsely believe you’re a good pilot if you manage to land without crashing.
- We will also take you through a mock test to help you prepare for a fight assessment if you’re contemplating attending the Advanced GVC Course.
Buy an entry level drone and complete our Intermediate A2 CofC Course.
- We recommend the DJI Mini 2 Combo because it’s the cheapest drone on the market which is just about good enough for professional purposes.
- The DJI Mini 2 also falls into a certain sub-category under the new rules which allows you to fly without having to maintain a specific distance away from uninvolved people. This is very useful when taking photos in built up areas where there are lots of people. Bigger drones typically require a minimum separation of 30-50m from uninvolved people, subject to your level of certification and authorisation.
- Although that drone falls into a category that requires only a very basic competency test facilitated by the regulator, we would recommend completing our Intermediate course so that you can better understand the rules and have access to a reference book which contains all the information you need to operate in the Open Category of the new drone rules.
Beginner CoursePractical Flight TrainingStarting from £360 inc VAT
- Practical flight training to accelerate your competency
- 1 to 1 with a HALO instructor
- Includes HALO training drones
- Includes unlimited batteries
- Focuses on setting solid foundations
- Provides techniques to speed coordination
- Includes assessment manoeuvres
- Includes mock flight assessment
- Half-day or full-day
A2 CofC + DJI Mini 2 + Practical Flight TrainingBusiness Starter Bundle£1175 inc VAT
- DJI Mini 2
- Intermediate Course (A2 CofC)
- Beginner Course (Practical Flight Training)
- Online learning material
- Online theory exam
- Support from HALO instructors
- Free theory test resit
Already experienced with drones or have potential customers ready and waiting?
You may be more experienced with drones or already have the luxury of a few clients wanting your drone services. In this case, we have more advanced options available to you:
Invest in one of our industry-specific drone + training bundles
- We have two comprehensive bundles to choose from, for people looking to offer services in the media or building surveying industries.
- These include everything you need to begin offers specialist services in these sectors. (Drone, training and support from the HALO team).
- You will get access to our beginner, intermediate and advanced training courses, allowing you to build up your competence throughout the process.
- You will also get access to our Operations Manual Course to help guide you in applying for an Operational Authorisation from the CAA.
Speak to an expert
We can help find you the right drone + training package for your business…